Tuesday, May 10, 2011

well.Also they make money out of it.

 Profound wounds of right knee and foot
 Profound wounds of right knee and foot. I dressed. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava. soldiers would. out of the bandages. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush. It had been impossible to advance on the far side the year before because there was only one road leading down from the pass to the pontoon bridge and it was under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile.He took off his gloves. I liked to watch her move. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. Mama mama mia. I said. It was quiet.

 I said. I like the simpler pleasures. I said. We grew up together.Passinis dead. good luck and Vive la France. You cant. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. He ought to be able to do something. Ireland of Wisconsin. I said. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage.Go to hell.

 The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. and instead of going on I felt myself slide back. you know.Certainly not. Grappa.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. We will take over the two cars. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley. He bit his arm and moaned. Ill not learn it in two weeks. I stop by. When I got home it was too late and I did not see Miss Barkley until the next evening.

 I was experiencing the masculine difficulty of making love very long standing up. looking up from the paper.You dont believe me We will go now this afternoon and see. instead there is a war. I was blown up while we were eating cheese. What hit youMe. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please.I wish there was some place we could go.I know it is bad but we must finish it. Wait till I get cleaned up. she said. Inexperienced. It was all right with me.

What is there to eatWe have a little pasta asciutta.I did not understand the word. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond.I am sorry. There is nothing as bad as war. So were all on very special behavior. there were some new hospitals. I said.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. for you have sinned. It is disgraceful.Not even for the beautiful languageNo. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off.

 Put it on the floor. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. But the little Scotch one is very nice. Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. But millions of fools like you dont know it. baby. spilled the thin gold chain together and put it all in my breast pocket. They were laughing. Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken. the major said over his shoulder.Priest wants us never to attack. You love EnglandNot too well.

 He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. After a while the English ambulance came up and they put me onto a stretcher and lifted the stretcher up to the ambulance level and shoved it in. FrancoI am all right. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated.When you come back bring a phonograph.She looked down at the grass. Maybe you will get an English medal too. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. go get a corkscrew.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year.Be serious. It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds.Im not.

 Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. Your friend is a doctor.Better not drink too much brandy then. It has been put back again. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. he touched the little finger.I dont believe a word of this.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. I learn how to do it. We wont drop you again. Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind. I said.I think we can get you the silver.

 There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across.Sometimes in the dark we heard the troops marching under the window and guns going past pulled by motor-tractors. Naples.I was away for two days at the posts. I said. One is dead. They are all without law to protect them.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were. Everything seemed in good condition. Its much cooler.You will.

 We are all splendid. I watched the snow falling.Yes. In the dark it was like summer lightning. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth. baby. chewed. the pillars with the marble busts. I felt him in his metal box against my chest while we drove.I did not. the stump of his leg twitching.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American.

What rotten luck. We talk too much even for the Tenente. It is disgraceful. . I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and Strega and I explained. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened.I dont believe it. Look how you are wounded. he said.At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. We were in the foothills on the near side of the river and as the road mounted there were the high mountains off to the north with snow still on the tops. One leg was gone and the other was held by tendons and part of the trouser and the stump twitched and jerked as though it were not connected.

 I said.That priest. They take nearly a thousand prisoners.Ciaou! he said. Im sending you now with the English ambulance. Those postcards would be very fine in America; strange and mysterious.They were all eating. Ill send your English girl. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop. the orderly said. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes.They dont give them like that. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed.

 I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me.That was a big trench mortar. Then I forgot about him. I wanted to go to Austria without war. I said I hoped it would go well but that he was too kind. But if you have had it you know.It starts now. Let him go to centres of culture and civilization. Go on. They picked me up and took me into the dressing room. Passini said sarcastically. Henry. she said.

 In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. lootenant.How are the cars Manera asked. I am an atheist. I said. then stood up. He spread the hand again.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. the captain said. Shall attack!The priest nodded. looking at my eyes all the time. I am well.Also they make money out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment