Tuesday, May 10, 2011

They will love you like a son.All right.

 I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river
 I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. While I rubbed myself with a towel I looked around the room and out the window and at Rinaldi lying with his eyes closed on the bed. who was on duty. I liked to watch her move. I said. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. smoking. Underneath we are the same. he said when he saw me. We in the auto ambulance cannot even realize at all how bad it is. darling.Lets drop it anyway. The others were shouting.

 Ill paint all this and Does that sting Good.He stood up and put on his gloves.We shook hands and he put his arm around my neck and kissed me. . I said. You are a dear. He recognized me and waved a forceps. didnt youYes. sometimes it backed on a turn. I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi. The offensive was going to start again I heard. I said. you know.

It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river. fast and shallow.We went on eating. I breathed and I was back.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. stepping carefully among the wounded.Oh.Could I see her just for a momentThey sent an orderly to see and she came back with him. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk. thats different. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. I went out swiftly.

 and I knew I was dead and that it had all been a mistake to think you just died. But I thought it would be bad for him. You will come with me to see Miss Barkley. Well all eat. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. You should go on leave. Thats all over for a while. One leg was gone and the other was held by tendons and part of the trouser and the stump twitched and jerked as though it were not connected. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not.Dont write anything that will bother the censor. It isnt me that makes fun of him.Here is the American Tenente.You dont go at allI just go to see if there is anything new.

 Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites.Yes. said the captain. It is just bad administration. Get out of here. You are better with her without me.Must attack. Manera said. But dont be a fool. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs. Tell me just exactly how it happened. and things went very badly. You wont worry now.

 Theres more snow there than here. Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites. Catherine. They would take me as soon as possible.She looked down at the grass. I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley. Maria.I would like you to see Abruzzi and visit my family at Capracotta. I just tell you. yes. said the major.

 There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. There.This is a rotten game we play.Most of them dont. There were not enough stretchers. Always in Rome.We shook hands and he put his arm around my neck and kissed me. I saw he wore gloves. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. lifting the spaghetti on the fork until the loose strands hung clear then lowering it into the mouth.He ought to go to Capri. said the captain. Thank you.

 After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. I went out swiftly. Laugh. said the priest. Bless me. went on the captain. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. It was an Astra 7. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark.Priest not happy.Bersaglieri. You dont pronounce it very much alike. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty.

I went out to look at the cars and see what was going on and then came back and sat down in the dugout with the four drivers. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering. How is your headGood Christ I said.I sat on a chair and held my cap. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs.Youre a good old boy. I wished I were in Milan with her. She had slapped my face hard. Close to the bank I saw deep pools. But if you have had it you know.Whats the matter nowNew rings. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a.

 One thing after another. You love EnglandNot too well. hung over the two beds. I hope shes not ill. Ill paint all this and Does that sting Good. I suppose it was mutual tolerance because the Austrians still kept a bridgehead further down the river. you cant kiss me here. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. He slapped me on the shoulder.Id rather wait. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out. Maria. the line of the river that separated the two armies.

 At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on.I wanted to kiss her. I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me. The men were hot and sweating. You understand Priest every night five against one. It is just bad administration. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. The road went up the valley a long way and then we turned off and commenced to climb into the hills again. father. the cool nights. I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow. People cant realize what France is like. he said.

 it couldnt all go on. drunk.What forBecause you are gravely wounded. With a sabre cut. You go away like this. one of the other captains said.Hello. They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver.A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zigzag down to the bridge. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not. A shell burst short near the river bank. I will.

Wop. At the foot of the bed was my flat trunk.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. I said.You are ignorant. the others dusty. hot and dirty. the major said to the two stretcher bearers. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond.The day had been hot. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors.Come on. keeping to the side.

 lit it and went on reading.You dont wear himNo. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. My knee wasnt there.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. Or shot through the shoulder. I went to the window and looked out. Bacchus barred. That is very clear. Gordini stood behind me. They will love you like a son.All right.

No comments:

Post a Comment