Tuesday, May 10, 2011

took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on.

 I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee
 I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. It was half of the brigata Basilicata.We went over toward Rinaldi and Miss Ferguson. Im something called a V. Hes coming to see you. I said.You should not let us talk this way. If they did. There is nothing worse than war. I said.I stopped to ask if you were better. go to hell.I thought it over.

 It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were. I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished.Ill take what you can give me.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared. I had wanted to go to Abruzzi.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. looking for cuts or stone bruises. said Bassi. Three others were up in the mountains at dressing stations.He cant do anything about it anyway.Passini shook his head. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs. Lots of them would have liked him to be king.

 What kind of time did you haveMagnificent. She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely.A shell fell close and they both dropped to the ground and dropped me. cartridges. The lieutenant. Gordini stood up and went outside with me.You think notNo. and the whole thing going well on the Carso made the fall very different from the last fall when we had been in the country. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. I talked with the major and learned that when it should start and our cars should be loaded we would drive them back along the screened road and up to the main road along the ridge where there would be a post and other cars to clear them. These V. be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out. We are war brothers.

 It is a successful coup de main. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town. Kiss me goodby. Kiss me goodby.Were not far from the top. That made the bed damp and cool.Start in to eat. New girls never been to the front before. The war was changed too.Youre a good old boy.Not Strega. That left three.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni.

 bulged forward under the capes so that the men. It was in France of course. My hand went in and my knee was down on my shin.They cant hang every one. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. Manera said.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. I do not believe in the Free Masons however. No.

 After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny. Theres not really any war of that sort down here. All the officers were very happy. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. I learn how to do it. I said. Inexperienced.Dont worry. lit it and went on reading. That was all left for next year. but with the difference between us. Tell me just exactly how it happened.Do we eat yet.

 I went on home.The drops fell very slowly. Goodby. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa.Were you there.Dont go. I went back to the drivers. the orderly said. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. misunderstandings. with the eyes shut. the water clear. then it pattered into a stream.

 They took off my trousers and the medical captain commenced dictating to the sergeant adjutant while he worked. I gave them each a package of cigarettes. He started the car. We read. he said. It would only be worse if we stopped fighting.You ought to have let me know. When this road was finished the offensive would start.Ill take care of him for you. There is good hunting.No. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley.So long.

 It has been put back again. on the street. He looked at the priest and shouted. She had slapped my face hard.You should not let us talk this way. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. soldiers would. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. the major said. Then I made out my report in my room. You know more about it than I do. I must do something about getting you out of here. He slapped his gloves on the edge of the bed.

Outside we ran across the brickyard. No. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost. I said. I said to the priest. The priest accepted it as a joke. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. she said.We looked at Rinaldi talking with the other nurse. the tiny man with the long thin neck and the goat beard. the instruments shining in the light. He had always known what I did not know and what.

 Rinaldi was lying on his bed. gentlemen.Listen. There. I knew. But Im back now. Were not cloistered. It would only be worse if we stopped fighting. Rinaldi poured another glass.They may crack.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. I thought. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in.

 I stop by.He should have fine girls. Tell me all about it.Just as you like. There were trees along both sides of the road and through the right line of trees I saw the river. Let him go to centres of culture and civilization.Let me feel it. said the captain. Miss Barkley prefers you to me. ha! he said. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started. Thats over for the evening. What was the matter with this war Everybody said the French were through.

 This took place at B?ziers. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably.You sons of bitches. Mr. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead.I see. Goodnight.I wish you were back. and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw. Its twice as big as it was this morning.We wont quarrel. Ive known him before. Incurred in the line of duty.

 The frescoes were not bad. Tenente Gavuzzi asked.We must shut up.Start in to eat. He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls. wont you She looked up at me.Be serious. You are purer and sweeter. They were afraid. Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded.At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi.

 He bellows.They cant hang every one. I put thumb and fingers into the macaroni and lifted.That doesnt matter. Manera said. Thats what keeps you from being court martialled for self inflicted wounds.I thought it over. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away.Come on. So were all on very special behavior. Rinaldi was lying on his bed. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment