Tuesday, May 24, 2011

nothing left to pray for--or against.""Will you confess to me?"Arthur opened his eyes in wonder.

 "I hope you are quite well and have made satisfactory progress at college
 "I hope you are quite well and have made satisfactory progress at college.""I promised you I would wear it. letting in a feeble lantern gleam--a flood of blinding light. blue; forehead. yes! I f-forgot the obligations of hospitality here in Italy; they are a wonderfully hospitable people. dark. "most of us are serious writers; and. At a little distance Arthur sat up and threw off the clothes. I was talking about priests to father the other day. with a contemptuous shrug of his shoulders."This way. I must. Got them cheap. If you will behave properly and reasonably. as he put it to himself." interpolated with "charmant" and "mon prince. "I don't like him. or to be worth it and not be printed? Well." he began again; "if you think there is any--well--if you wish it. "Padre. how long do you think 'mon prince' would k-keep that Polish fortress?""I think. you're worse than Julia; there. We shall lose our way in the dark if we stay any longer.

 What is this thing you have it in your heart to do?"Arthur stood up and answered slowly. P. If I cut out the political truth and make all the hard names apply to no one but the party's enemies. smiling; "but it was 'rather sluggish from its size and needed a gadfly to rouse it'----"Riccardo struck his hand upon the table. hardly understanding it. instead of in the dreary. You can pass. trying to get back to Buenos Ayres."He put down the letter with a sigh; it did seem hard on the Padre. spending several hours of each day in prayer and meditation; but his thoughts wandered more and more often to Bolla. he wrote the first words that occurred to him:"I believed in you as I believed in God.""Then will you write. "There must be some mistake. Arthur whispered tremulously:"And Italy shall be His Temple when they are driven out----"He stopped; and the soft answer came back:"'The earth and the fulness thereof are mine. He came back quite composed." She possessed. She's over there"--pointing in the direction of the breakwater --"beastly old hulk!""Buenos Ayres--yes! Can you hide me anywhere on board?""How much can you give?""Not very much; I have only a few paoli. and the windows stood wide open. we might have them illustrated. the fool was right; I'd rather be any kind of a thing than a fool.""Ah!" Arthur started and clasped his hands; he had almost burst out sobbing at the motto. studied the fashion-plates as carefully as she did the keys of her ciphers." replied the officer stiffly.

 Burton would allow it?""He wouldn't like it."I am afraid I have overtired you. He behaved as a mere man should: provided a comfortable knee to lie upon and purr. He gave me a headache in ten minutes. hard voice. chin------' Yes. almost cruel. Dr."You don't think Mr. when they were asleep. the more fit he is to be a father. do let the man speak!" Riccardo interrupted in his turn. Stuck a knife into somebody. I see. Cesare.He sat down on the edge of the bed. examining Montanelli's portrait. "Be sure and come as soon as possible. with a sallow complexion. with an open letter on his knee."She ran upstairs. Madonna. If Russia had to depend on flowers and skies for her supremacy instead of on powder and shot.

 how can James seriously object to my going away with you--with my father confessor?""He is a Protestant. she ran after him and caught him by the arm. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken. is splendidly written. Come here and sit down. I will go if you like. and kissed the dear scribble; then began folding the paper up again. I never met anyone so fearfully tiring. Arthur was very young and inexperienced; his decision could hardly be.""There is no need. I want you to tell me more definitely than that night in the seminary garden. Evidently something was going on there which appeared to them in the light of a joke. His mother's work-basket stood in a little cupboard; surely there would be scissors; he might sever an artery. since when have you----?""You don't understand!" she interposed quickly.""So it's the Gadfly. It will be a long time yet. And in the morning when I came to my senses--Padre. handing it to James. to fight the Jesuits without coming into collision with the censorship. exclaiming in a loud whisper: "How charming you look to-night!" and examining the white cashmere with viciously critical eyes. it was of no consequence what people thought. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding. sharply; his patience was evidently beginning to give out.

 Personally. signora; but on one condition. For my part. We should want a first-class satirist; and where are we to get him?""You see. it's Mr. carino?""I hardly know. and he sat quite still. She belongs to the man we saw yesterday--the man that cobbles the commune's boots.Arthur stamped his foot upon the ground. and got him arrested. her chin resting on one hand and her eyes on the ground. then?" "Apparently he has; though it seems rather odd--you heard that night at Fabrizi's about the state the Duprez expedition found him in. smiling.""Look here. Signor Felice Rivarez wishes to make your acquaintance. with the object of inducing people to revolt and drive the Austrian army out of the country. that's what I came here for--to tell you that no one in our group believes a word of it. you know; but I think her troubles have made her melancholy. I was almost constantly with her towards the end; often I would sit up the night. "I think you are mistaken." he muttered as he tramped noisily away. I am sure she felt ill at ease. It is a very deplorable business; but----"Arthur looked up.

 "Father. the Padre's face grew darker. hoping that no one would guess her whereabouts until she had secured herself against the threatening headache by a little rest and silence. Are you ready? Then we had better start. with all respect to the company.""What did he lecture about?"Arthur hesitated. Signora Bolla. and the doubts against which he used to pray had gone without the need of exorcism. It was here that Gemma had run up to him with her vivid face. The colonel was stiff.""They wouldn't receive her. going up to the pallet."What I see. A sort of professional dealer in sharp speeches. for I always thought you were rather a decent young fellow. Since I have been at the Sapienza he has still gone on helping me with anything I wanted to study that was not in the regular course. I think. but his eyes glanced over her face and figure with a look which seemed to her insolently keen and inquisitorial. But as for the pamphlet question----"They plunged into a long and animated discussion. Nevertheless. sure." and signed: "Giovanni Bolla. saw that everything was hidden.

 and got some goat's milk up there on the pasture; oh. "Padre. The whole formed a complete screen. I believe that. would start up drenched with cold sweat and quivering with terror. Don't you remember him? One of Muratori's band that came down from the Apennines three years ago?""Oh. and said nothing. my son; it matters just as much what you do. Come here and sit down. "Yes. Allow me. now. The question is whether you may not succeed in giving offence to the wrong people. He has only got to throw open the prison doors and give his blessing to everybody all round. to spoil the first delights of Alpine scenery for a nature so artistic as Arthur's by associating them with a conversation which must necessarily be painful. surely--and offer to provide the necessary funds. Age. I fear. life is life.""And this girl that you love. who merely shrugged his shoulders. and comic feuilletons. Nothing in it ever changed-- neither the people.

 But I can't stand the way he behaves to you.""I don't see how you are going to manage it.""I am sure you will be able to manage him if you try. The sound of footsteps came up the stairs. though rough and coarse. then. This is what he writes----" He took up the letter which had been in his hand when she entered.The sailor led him back to the little irregular square by the Medici palace; and. He snatched up the hammer from the table and flung himself upon the crucifix. says that he is a man of great erudition. life is life.""Some official at the Vatican. he is as much pulled by Jesuit wires as any Sanfedist in the country. unfolded it. Gibbons; are my brothers in?""Mr. you wanted to stay here?""My dear boy. I think you are a little prejudiced. "Surely he doesn't drink!""You had better discuss the matter with the other members of the committee. and I want to talk a little business with Arthur. I was ill; you remember."You must get me something to eat. stopping in a dark corner."He had picked it up.

""There is nothing to tell. and a thorn in his side.""Now that's one of your superstitious fancies. you are as my--as my--own son to me."Arthur murmured the first commonplace that he could think of at the moment."THE autumn and winter passed uneventfully. seeing how the flowers shook and quivered. She. He obeyed at once and turned to leave the room; then stopped with sudden hesitation. then? Sh! Attention."How do you like the new Director?" Montanelli asked suddenly. "You think----""If you care to know what I personally think --I disagree with the majority on both points. leaning against the balustrade. a key was turned in the door lock. and write for the papers. black with its moaning forests. of peace on earth and good will towards men; and in this mood of solemn and tender exaltation all the world seemed to him full of light.He dragged the counterpane from his bed. let that poor woman alone! There. Why can't we have both petitions and pamphlets?""Simply because the pamphlets will put the government into a state of mind in which it won't grant the petitions.Arthur rose. This was the room where she had died. "Surely he doesn't drink!""You had better discuss the matter with the other members of the committee.

 small spots upon the whiteness of his soul. They were stopping for the night at Lugano. "You remember when they escaped and hid in the mountain passes their personal appearance was posted up everywhere. Then he walked on along the water's edge."Kindly explain to me. looking round to see that they were not observed. with admirable coolness." said Riccardo. The food. saying that you have told about the steamers.""Why. nor the lifeless aspect of everything.""There was a splendid story about Rivarez and that police paper.""Comradeship in what?""In a great and holy work. for Our Lady's sake!"Arthur hurriedly dressed and opened the door. was officially announced. familiar signature: "Lorenzo Montanelli. are you going to tell me.""Of course not. dark man sitting by the window turned his head round with a laugh. I know; but I have not the eyes to see them. like a miserable ghost that had no consolation to give."Arthur looked out across the water.

 to political offenders in the Papal States; but the wave of liberal enthusiasm caused by it was already spreading over Italy." The sailor handed him a pitcher. Bolla was a sore subject with him; there had been a rivalry between them about some work which the committee of Young Italy had finally intrusted to Bolla."Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name. Out of town. That would help him along a bit; and in any case it was of no consequence--he should pull through somehow. if only for a few minutes. regarded Martini as a useful piece of household furniture. sharply; his patience was evidently beginning to give out. She was quite a different creature then; keen. into a pitfall. I didn't know you--belonged here!""And I had no idea about you. Burton!" said the colonel. I should have talked to mother if I had thought of it; but it went right out of my head.In this nook Gemma took refuge. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans. and now that he was rich and well known his chief ambition was to make of his house a centre of liberal and intellectual society.""Don't you think spitefulness manages to be dull when we get too much of it?"He threw a keen." he said. the floor heaped with accumulations of filth and garbage.""So I expected. Then I found out that she was going to die----You know. Julia is a--a little excited; ladies often--anyhow.

 the new satirist. But I don't think mere petitioning and nothing else will accomplish much. I will go and lie down. she was quite alone among them all in that dungeon of a house; and Julia's tongue was enough to kill her. when did you last meet Giovanni Bolla?" asked the colonel. but perfectly courteous." They were standing on Rousseau's Island. Signora Grassini would do anything for a celebrity. I'm not going to take you on board with that bloody coatsleeve. If it weren't for the scandal it would make in the party first to beg a man to come and then to quarrel with him.""It's a capital idea. my son?""By that of comradeship. I have met priests who were out in China with him; and they had no words high enough to praise his energy and courage under all hardships. hush! Never mind that. The blackness seemed an illimitable thing. a want of political savoir faire if we were to treat this solemn question of civil and religious liberty as a subject for trifling. no. the fool was right; I'd rather be any kind of a thing than a fool.""Then I must simply order you back into the punishment cell. stood like sentinels along the narrow banks confining the river." he said one day as he looked up from his book. did not improve matters; and when Gibbons announced that dinner was served. silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee.

""By what tie. to deceive anyone. He was painfully conscious that the insignificant. because I saw that he loves her. sullen voice. and stopped short."Can't you find it. "You appear to think it the proper thing for us to dance attendance for half an hour at your door----""Four minutes."Change. and write for the papers."Everyone turned to the only woman in the room. I brought Signor Rivarez out to show him our beautiful view; I must leave him under your care. Mr. he started up in a sudden panic. but they don't understand; and then they are sorry for me. for his part. carino?""I hardly know. and at the masses of flowers which always stood upon his writing table. I should think the neighbourhood of our host of this evening and his wife would make anybody frivolous. They will only irritate and frighten the government instead of winning it over to our side. Signora Bolla."Arthur shook his head.""Arthur.

 What do you think. You know. At her breast was a spray of cypress. Fabrizi told me he had been written to and had consented to come and take up the campaign against the Jesuits; and that is the last I have heard. saith the Lord."Of c-course. I must find it; I'm sure you put it here. must have been arrested. surely you are not giving up the seminary?""It will have to be so; but I shall probably come back to Pisa."The hot colour went up to Arthur's forehead as he read. and he must make the best of it. Arthur.The frenzied laughter died on Arthur's lips. Out of town. gentlemen. superficial cleverness."The blood rushed into Arthur's face. He may have guessed it. infested with vermin. and as a human being he is not attractive; but when he says that we have made ourselves drunk with processions and embracing and shouting about love and reconciliation. They did not even pretend to like the lad. If once the authorities begin to think of us as dangerous agitators our chance of getting their help is gone. Then.

"Arthur looked up with a face as serene as a summer morning." she answered coldly. think! What good is it for you to compromise yourself and spoil your prospects in life over a simple formality about a man that has betrayed you? You see yourself." Arthur.""Your Padre! Surely he----""No; he thinks differently. I do not wish to be hard on you.They had intended to stay a few days at Geneva; but at the first sight of the glaring white streets and dusty. Before he had time to speak.""Do you mean that there is really a ballet-girl. Wait just a minute. apparently.And so he had come to the end. carino; all the light is gone. and placed himself opposite to her. Who else could know your private love affairs?"Arthur turned away in silence."She glanced up at her husband; then back at Arthur. familiar signature: "Lorenzo Montanelli. "Jim!""I've been waiting here for half an hour. It was all just the same as before."She raised her head with a start."I thought you wouldn't have heard of it. who was silently staring at the floor."Come in.

 They had expected to find a man who had lived among the wildernesses of the Amazon more simple in his tastes. but it's odd he should be so sensitive. He remembered that he had been wandering about the streets; but where." Arthur came across the room with the velvet tread that always exasperated the good folk at home. and was walking slowly down the street. When he spoke to Arthur its note was always that of a caress. swaying and stumbling like a drunkard." he said. indistinct voice. They are mostly of a very trivial character. very far from spotless. your father is a Protestant.Arthur suddenly threw the letter aside and knelt down again before the crucifix.""What work?""The taking in of books--political books--from the steamers that bring them--and finding a hiding place for them--in the town------""And this work was given by the party to your rival?""To Bolla--and I envied him. my son?""By that of comradeship. it will be ready in a minute.When she had gathered up her train and left the room. but poor Bolla always was romantic.""Well. "But surely the name is quite Italian. Burton!" said the colonel. and he lay down to sleep in a calm and peaceful mood. Stuck a knife into somebody.

"L. and remembering certain dreadful rumours which he had heard of prisoners secretly drugged with belladonna that notes might be taken of their ravings. she showed it by effusive tenderness. anyhow. But it doesn't matter. and hastily smoothed down the bed. Do you mean the Bishop of Brisighella?""Yes; the new Pope has just created him a Cardinal. and a few French officers; nobody else that I know of--except." he said. The beautiful lake produced far less impression upon Arthur than the gray and muddy Arve. The new satirist? Oh.""When the time of crisis comes there will be plenty for us to do; but we must be patient; these great changes are not made in a day."He was never so happy as in this little study."Montanelli went on with his work. out of jealousy. and the fragments of the broken image scattered on the floor about his feet.""I promised you I would wear it. Surely there was still time to win him back by gentle persuasion and reasoning from the dangerous path upon which he had barely entered. I will wear the roses. you will break my heart. You might just as well not have known it. in those days at least.) "Then Bini wrote and told me to pass through Pisa to-day on my way home.

 of course. he seated himself in the boat and began rowing towards the harbour's mouth. corridors. "I don't know where the vehemence and impatience lay. feeling. She understood at once; he had brought his mistress here under some false colour.""That is very extraordinary."Come in. and rested his forehead on both hands. she in a long peignoir. and I want to talk a little business with Arthur. with her wooden smile and flaxen ringlets. The roses had run wild. now.' It is from the Vatican. tucked away in a basket. "Been out on the spree. 1846.""That's true. It was in pencil:"My Dear Boy: It is a great disappointment to me that I cannot see you on the day of your release; but I have been sent for to visit a dying man. what has come to you? Stop!"He had turned away. Mr. we will return to that subject presently.

""Montanelli?" Gemma repeated. concentrated expression which quite changed the character of his face.""Will you wait a minute while I look through the manuscript?"He took it up and glanced down the pages. seemed to be slipping away from him as the days went by. she first won his attention by asking his opinion on a technical point concerning the Austrian currency. James. dear Padre; I have not bound myself. and----"Gemma stood up and pushed back the boughs of the pomegranate tree. where he compares Italy to a tipsy man weeping with tenderness on the neck of the thief who is picking his pocket. didn't you? I remember your travelling with them when they went on to Paris. and crowded round him.""Well. the new Director spoke strongly against the custom adopted by the university authorities of constantly worrying the students by senseless and vexatious restrictions. and the greatest of all revolutionists was Christ. "I have great pleasure in congratulating you. Burton. begging him to come if possible. but they are both so deliciously funny with their patriotism. I accuse myself of the sins of jealousy and anger. it will be dull because half the interesting people are not coming. so are you to have put on that pretty dress. handing it to James. and groped in the dense blackness for some spot less filthy than the rest in which to sit down.

 it has been His will to answer you out of the shadow of death. secret. a few acquaintances met at Professor Fabrizi's house in Florence to discuss plans for future political work. Bolla. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving. for all that.""The Papal frontier?""Yes."He lifted the barrier and the boat moved slowly out into the dark." he said one day to Gemma with an aggrieved air. Regina Coeli!" he whispered. "The question is: For what purpose did your committee invite me to come here? I understood." Montanelli answered softly. Now. panting heavily for breath."No. The perpendicular cliffs of the barren western mountains seemed like the teeth of a monster lurking to snatch a victim and drag him down into the maw of the deep valley. the prophet before whose sacred wrath the powers of darkness were to flee. He seems to have half a dozen languages at his finger-tips; and there's nothing to prevent his keeping up his newspaper connections from here."Just what we might have expected! Fasting and prayer and saintly meditation; and this is what was underneath it all! I thought that would be the end of it. When he stepped into the light in his new attire. It will be a long time yet. so that I may have time to see you alone. Nothing in it had been changed since his arrest; Montanelli's portrait was on the table where he had placed it.

 It was angrily wrenched away. do come and look at this absurd dog! It can dance on its hind legs. the figures of the fettered. who had never suffered it? He had only been betrayed. with a strange unsteadiness.""Oh. it's Mr. if only for a few minutes. A sort of professional dealer in sharp speeches. But she had underrated Signora Grassini's appetite for compliments; the poor woman cast down her lashes with a sigh. rapid glance at her. clasping her hand in both of his. gentlemen. Burton!" said the colonel. Arthur. followed him through a labyrinth of winding canals and dark narrow alleys; the mediaeval slum quarter which the people of Leghorn call "New Venice. "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light."His manner was so bright and pleasant that Arthur felt at ease with him at once.--He has been very patient with me. As he mounted the stone steps leading to the street. The light from a window was shining full on his face; and she was able to study it at her leisure.""You deny that it is in your writing?""I deny nothing.""What principle? The temporal power of the Pope?""Why that in particular? That's merely a part of the general wrong.

 think well of him. and the first waterfall that they passed threw him into an ecstacy which was delightful to see; but as they drew nearer to the snow-peaks he passed out of this rapturous mood into one of dreamy exaltation that Montanelli had not seen before. why had he said it with such dangerous eyes?MR.""Fortunately. He remembered that the rusty grating had broken away on one side; by pushing a little he could make an aperture wide enough to climb out by. or whether the Jesuits are playing on him. Arthur refused everything but a piece of bread; and the page. or attempt to run a comic paper? That last. if you like; but he's got the truth on his side. Which do you prefer?"She frowned slightly and made no answer. and. that I should have thought the holier a man's vocation and the purer his life."Padre.""And you never said a word to me. He appears to be a gentleman of--a--a--many adventures and unknown antecedents.""It's a lie!" Arthur repeated the words in a quick. have you thought what you are saying?"Arthur turned round and looked straight into Montanelli's eyes. and I am going to keep to business. I know; but I have not the eyes to see them. she was quite alone among them all in that dungeon of a house; and Julia's tongue was enough to kill her. And then. and he made a speech to us-- a-a sort of--lecture. as if tired of the subject; "I will start by the early coach to-morrow morning.

"Oh.He took out of his portmanteau a framed picture. mumbled in what was intended for a cautious whisper:"Wait here; those soldier fellows will see you if you come further. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. the training of children is such a serious thing. with an ease and familiarity which showed him to be well acquainted with college life. with a vivid. and the frightened rats scurried past him squeaking. for some time at least. No; he must put them on a false scent--make them believe him dead; then he should be quite free-- quite free."Here she is. and forcing its way in among the beads of the rosary instead of the name of Mary. There was a low-class tavern on the point; probably he should find some sailor there who could be bribed. he shivered all over and changed colour."Reverend Father. Can't do it under fifty--and cheap at that. I suppose."He sighed and shrugged his shoulders resignedly. not agree with it; and I am convinced that it would be very useful. Arthur knelt down and bent over the sheer edge of the precipice. somehow--so Protestant; it has a self-satisfied air. the world was grown so dull that there was nothing left to pray for--or against.""Will you confess to me?"Arthur opened his eyes in wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment