Tuesday, May 10, 2011

she had been. she said. Shell be off then.

The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare
The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man. Maybe the Austrians would crack. Anybody can take their property. I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick. hung over the two beds.Where is the gasoline park nowAt the same place. You dont have to pretend you love me.It could not be worse. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. Passini said. It is one for The Lancet.I know it is bad but we must finish it.

 Ill be wise like you. Miss Barkley said. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. We work very hard but no one trusts us. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a. You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. Then I made out my report in my room. went to the jail and asked to see the priest.All right. Rinaldi poured another glass. Ill not learn it in two weeks. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. It is disgraceful.

Defeat is worse. Porta feriti I tried to get closer to Passini to try to put a tourniquet on the legs but I could not move. Mama mama mia. It was a one road show.Tonight you will tell me everything. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened.Do you want to very muchYes.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes. Also we were required to wear an automatic pistol; even doctors and sanitary officers. Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away. Then I made out my report in my room. We stood outside the door on the patch and he said. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out.

 They were hospitals beyond the river. My father is a famous hunter. I said. They come back for me.As the ambulance climbed along the road.Oh. wont youWhat the hell.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. Ive seen your Tenente. And you will come and see meOf course. It looked as though it might be a mess. they stopped them. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs.

 Why do you get yourself woundedYou can make fun of the priest. You will come with me to see Miss Barkley.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. They are all without law to protect them. A trench mortar shell. Passini said respectfully.We were off the driveway. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. Miss Barkley was quite tall. I said. which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain. bronzes looked like something.

Oh.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. Passini said. Im learning it. Walking home Rinaldi said.No.Why didnt we see the post when we came down Passini asked.We looked at each other in the dark. I handed it to Gordini. I said. Did you do any heroic actNo. she said. I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder.

 I had it in the car.No.Whats wrong with your legIts not my leg. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. New girls never been to the front before. I said. Gordini got up and ran for the dugout. He was walking with a limp.Yes.That is not good. He bit his arm and moaned. Priest never with girls.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains.

 Mr. without embarrassment. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. I said.Youre not a Catholic. Tell me really what was the best. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out. You understand Priest every night five against one. looking for cuts or stone bruises. We are war brothers. You take it. He spoke again in pidgin Italian. lieutenant We wont get a chance to eat after this thing starts.

 I said. I am well. didnt youYes.We were off the driveway. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me. I denied this. But those grenadiers; all over six feet. after all.Im going on.The priest smiled. looking for cuts or stone bruises. There is no finish to a war. the meal was finished.

 Or shot through the shoulder. I myself felt as badly as he did and could not understand why I had not gone. Rinaldi said. I had on wool stockings but Passini wore puttees.Very. There was an English there.It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river. I felt him in his metal box against my chest while we drove. was lined with them.There are three others. Do you think I would do right to marry Miss Barkleyafter the war of courseAbsolutely.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. Gordini got up and ran for the dugout.

 Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni. I hurried up the driveway and inside the reception hall I asked for Miss Barkley. I said. Bacchus. He loves Franz Joseph. ha! he said. yes. and. It was an Astra 7. He has a rendezvous.A whatAn ignorant wop. He patted Gordini on the shoulder.They dropped me once more before we reached the post.

 Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around. Take a drink.War is not won by victory. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. blunt-nosed ambulances. Naples. Outside it was nearly dark. I had wanted to go to Abruzzi. In the dark it was like summer lightning. You have a good time The others all grinned too. FrancoI am all right.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics.

 baby. cartridges. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts. Tell me all about it. darling. He sat down beside me.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese.Sit down to it. There are people who are afraid of their officers. He denied all knowledge of the five per cent bonds. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came. My father is a famous hunter. I love you too much.

How is everythingSplendid. I myself felt as badly as he did and could not understand why I had not gone. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone. I said. I saw a third range of mountains. You see the point.No. Miss Barkley said. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. She came back from wherever she had been. she said. Shell be off then.

No comments:

Post a Comment