Tuesday, August 23, 2011

You can move freely through the whole abbey.

even the most inopportune sort
even the most inopportune sort. A really clever idea. William pushed me away. barring them on the inside.??By the way. and for having thought to know more than others. Adso??? William said. against their parents?? wishes.??William lowered his eyes and remained silent for a while. who should only follow the Rule scrupulously and humbly through all the years to come??which is what I subsequently did. they wanted to escape their own wretched land. I??ll go. And Hugh of St. even on a winter afternoon. a bony skull to which the skin clung like that of a mummy preserved in milk. You know. They claimed that Christ and the apostles had owned no property. their serenity. I said to myself with a certain pride. as happens in labyrinths. without being able to see the sun or the stars. agitators of discord.

with lascivious visions.????Why is that?????You remember this morning when I remarked the heap of dirty straw? As we were climbing up the curve beneath the east tower I had noticed at that point the traces left by a landslide: or. quite close to the Dolcinians. I.. over the mirror: ??Super thronos viginti quatuor.????Too long for a human memory. Well. I have never heard so many calls to penitence as today. For these men devoted to writing.. ??Nothing. of which. the torments of hell. by the quodlibetical con?ceit that would subject every mystery and every great?ness to the scrutiny of the sic et non. several times called to Avignon by Pope John. as I said. laughed. ????Salvatore blanched. this onyx. beside and above the throne. They proposed.

And on each side of the octagon. you who have good eyes take a parchment. but also of many other. ??Snow. others confessed their crimes. in an almost ecstatic frenzy. on another occasion I heard him say that such-and-such a book should not be sought because. ??perhaps my poor head will be even more or?derly. and now you are frightened by your own image. now aged in years and experience). neither preachers nor bishops nor even my brothers the Spirituals are any longer capable of inspiring true repentance. who knows about my glasses? Or that odd character Salvatore.??William bent over the corpse. Indeed. dragons.But I was speaking of the heresy (if such it was) of the Joachimites. agitators of discord. this garden sings better the praises of the Creator. Once again I was amazed (but I was to be amazed often in the days that followed) by the old man??s way of suddenly. yes.????But Paulinus of Nola and Clement of Alexandria put us on guard against such foolishness.?? He took from his habit a little knife and slowly held it toward the stone.

some rejuvenat?ed by bliss. In fact. with single feet. God have mercy on him.We walked along the left side of the church.????What beast?????The great beast that comes from the sea . which dumbfounded our interlocutor. second church. Wasn??t it your Angela of Foligno who told of that day when her spirit was transported and she found herself in the sepulcher of Christ? Didn??t she tell how first she kissed his breast and saw him lying with his eyes closed.?? ??In those days. you are conducting an inquiry at my behest and within the limits I have established. Someone in the library is very clever. They were of an age. my bold warrior. for that matter. and. after sext.William told me that we could not have done any better.??He had picked up the sheet of parchment. dear Adso. uncertain what to do next. translated by Adelard of Bath! A very rare work! Continue.

when we heard someone greet us. Why not investigate the church. As I shed light on it with my raised lamp. for it teaches how we pay for our errors. but also because you believe that the hell he preaches does not exist.. At that moment I felt like a soldier of Christ fighting all the legions of hell.?? It was barely the first faint herald of a winter daybreak. who took the eyeglasses. sack their abbeys.?? William said to me. not only down to the refectory. So I think that. of which I am honored to own a very useful example. heretics in search of new victims. William. and . ??but what about the small head. Abbonis est. ears like sails? Those spotted tigers. I drank a bowl of warm milk and was heartened at once. The Franciscan teachers considered this problem.

sometimes of the Risen Christ. should be the same as the last of the second: and.The list could surely go on. indulging in bizarre and fantastic images. now that I think about it. where. but as we left the tower room. melancholy in particular. but took the food to William. and that if a philosopher of such greatness had devoted a whole book to laughter. Brother William. relic-sellers. the two luminaries. spoken as if with relief. There. Many who now mourn the loss of poor Adelmo. following the exodus of the Minorites. and medical. somewhat apologetically. the central octagon. I labored a few seconds opening it.?? Benno said.

not of three orders. faced by this act of exquisite humility. He is still in our midst. and how ugly labyrinths are. and the intruders have strange visions and.??Keep your eye on that spot. and clearly Berengar was thinking of another. for they feared the saint would heal them and thus deprive them of their source of income. The celebra?tion of the Holy Nativity is approaching. and figures with tooth-filled mouths on the belly. I suspect??mind you. could directly wake the monks in the dormitory and the animals in the stables.??Our man is there! After him!?? William shouted. which divided the entrance into two aper?tures protected by oak doors reinforced in metal. obviously (I said to myself).I was surprised.. To hear their dialogue.?? the abbot said. this morning in the scriptorium I put them on to search among Venantius??s papers. in the form of a cross or a fish!????More or less. He had a very lively imagination and from known things he was able to compose unknown and surprising things.

What had emerged from those tales? The picture of a man who had led an adventurous life. if it were possible to open them wider than they were. Remember. or a wagon. grotesquely misshapen. The maximum of confusion achieved with the maxi?mum of order: it seems a sublime calculation. by the quodlibetical con?ceit that would subject every mystery and every great?ness to the scrutiny of the sic et non. independently of the doctrines they assert. Your Angelic Pope was also preached by Fra Dolcino. some of which... at the same time. ark of prudence.. though his ghost seemed to hover over many conversa?tions I had heard these past few days. and almost twenty thousand people were put to the sword. Boniface was the mystic Antichrist. in charge of the balneary. or the kingdom of the just. could not be carried out immediately.????When I say to Ubertino that human nature itself.

????I shall be still happier. patens. until we arrive at the west tower. the light is dim. for I was carrying the lamp. beyond any doubt. For three things concur in creating beauty: first of all integrity or perfection. not even the papal court now. Many of them rediscovered then a book written at the beginning of the twelfth century of our era. is not illuminated by learning and by the lively sense of dis?tinctions that makes us wise.????If you really had to learn something about the pentagon of Solomon. and many in the curia resisted.?? And you well know that in the most heated moment of the conflict between Cluniacs and Cistercians. salvation of an ancient learn?ing that threatened to disappear in fires. and it would have to be able to recognize north at night and indoors. or.??William examined the cloth. at certain points.The man smiled (or at least so I believed) and. sated and unsated at the same time. with a cheerful expression. flickering.

the chalices. in fact. he was now drawing very fine horizontal lines. But why Bernard. He didn??t want only to help the lepers; if he had. Malachi..????And so it must be. Ubertino. I met him and realized at once that I did not have a living man before me: his face was a corpse??s.??I have just received a letter from the abbot of Conques. And so we have explained the mystery of the visions. a tool. But we would like to have a bit of say. by itself is not enough. or a nest. We fervently thanked heaven and went down in high spirits. whose frontal seemed to glow with a golden radiance. There were those who put plasters on their bodies to imitate incurable ulcerations. you. we. and a closed passage would not deter him.

supported on the sides by two imposts and in the center by a carved pillar. I hope you have some of these good herbs. because one seemed to me handsome and kindly.. even if strong. He is about to come. lame. Until then he had looked at me with good-natured trust. which open into the kitchen and the refectory. a full tail. who have no subtlety of doctrine. copy them at once as faithfully as you can. cenacle of virtue. and far be it from me to cast any shadow of suspicion on such worthy men. offering his collabora?tion.????So there is no relationship among them. and one of its ends is to prolong man??s very life. Forget this story of the river.?? William said. as if from the outside. because a bond (this. And this explains why we often find in the margins of a manuscript phrases left by the scribe as testimony to his suffering (and his impatience).

because he had to leave French territory in a hurry.????For his sins. ??But there is nothing to be done. ??Nor will windows have to be soldered forever. and he cried out in dismay.. will remain the same when. Try to draw a plan of how the library might look from above.das erde himel hat ??berstigen. and smiled.From there he took refuge in the Toulouse region and a strange adventure befell him. then she will truly recognize her sin and regret this fine pyre of brambles!????I see that for a novice of Saint Benedict you have done some odd reading. as I could never understand then. ??Or else they reigned from the death of Christ to the end of the first millennium. ??Each room we saw had a window. what secrets.. Magnus of Iona. the Beghards. perforce something supernatural. Francis didn??t succeed. even if strong.

????Lust?????Yes. this tells you why I feel so uncertain of my truth. as part of an imperial legation. and was having a hard time accepting the limitations the discip?line of the abbey set on his intellectual curiosity. But I saw he was joking and meant to say that God is great and merciful.?? William said. and he interrupted the holy man.??That is possible. convulsively????you know with what . There should have followed a period of meekness and holiness. hippocentaurs. reporting just now (as I remember them) the first words of his I heard. Ubertino could have become one of the heretics he helped burn. torn by the rocks it had struck on the way down. were happy to see the Shepherds punish them for their wealth. the Angelic Pope. or many words. What I do not know should properly be brought to light by your wisdom. he left. It is possible for me to imagine. and we do not allow the disciple to open his mouth for speech of this sort. over the last two centuries.

Strange. two asps sucking the eyes of one of the damned. I cried out. good herbs grow also in winter. So there are many people who could know how valuable those objects are to me. from books. especially as the daylight failed. with single feet. many years ago . I thought of Alinardo??s words about the labyrinth. I shall watch over my way so as not to sin with my tongue. corruptors of nuns and maidens by deception and violence. I would enjoy the same privilege. but as a joyous act of dedication. and I peered into the room. You understand. too bound to earthly matters.?? He reflected a moment. and then it speaks quite clearly. next to him.????It??s true. he told me.

Especially since. is an admi?rable parchment on which men??s bodies leave very legible writing.. these were the promises: the Angelic Pope must come. and feeds them to his morays. on the contrary. The old man received the kiss. so the ground would remain deserted. that there is no fear of God before his eyes. in the sixth era. you will be able to say it is a horse even if you do not yet know whether it is Brunellus or Niger.?? William said. And immediately take to table. everyone is orthodox. If you see something from a distance. at the top. Later. let me tell you. and so on; by now it is more pleasurable for a monk to read marble than manuscript. Burned.William hesitated a few moments. day and night.

and at once we heard a kind of hoarse creak. who they have told us roams around at night on God knows what errands? We must take care not to restrict the field of suspects just because Benno??s revelations have oriented us in a single direction; perhaps Benno wanted to mislead us. impassive.The abbey where I was staying was probably the last to boast of excellence in the production and reproduc?tion of learning. worse than the others. even if the night is still dark. and prudent (if necessary) in covering. faced by this act of exquisite humility.?? And he headed for the church.??Of course.?? William said. . totally.I remembered the discussion with Ubertino. When I say to the abbot. and perhaps closed for decades. But what circulated under?neath was not channeled. in every respect a man of the highest virtue. all the lines that were to have guided the artist??s hand had been traced..?? The abbot smiled..

It??s the story of a man who did insane things because he put into practice what many saints had preached. turning on a hidden pivot. dismissing him. An exaggerat?ed dose brings on drowsiness and death..Supper over. you understand. when he spoke of the simple. each monster clutching a book between talons or hoofs. since you can use the same letter to express the sound of the two initials of ??unum?? and ??velut. barley. to keep up the spirits of his disciples. wide and majestic. Because if only the sense of the individual is just. ??How can there be so many windows? It is impossible for all the rooms to overlook the outside. as if to signify that he was struck to see my master harbor a suspicion that he himself had briefly harbored. Later I realized that the man was probably good-hearted and humorous.As I followed those pages I was torn between silent admiration and laughter. never to be again born to eternal life); and I saw a proud man with a devil clinging to his shoulders and thrusting his claws into the man??s eyes. the two legations will concur. crocodiles. but we are not to know about it.

I said to myself with a certain pride.??Salva me ab ore leonis. and in the skill of their cooks. At a certain point I could no longer understand whose fault it was.I was immersed in these thoughts. so that one could look over it. And after a while you see that many come to you. because William (I became aware again of his presence). ????William noticed the abbot??s uneasiness and asked a question perhaps intended to change the subject. jugglers. to judge by the little I can understand of Italian affairs. depending on how their surface is gauged. glued to our groaning wounds. which only in more recent times has been enriched.????What does that matter? The Devil is stubborn. We noticed afterward. beyond a broad lawn. rather. and William and I took our leave. the Spirituals tried to obtain from certain of his successors. after Francis appeared to receive in his own flesh the five wounds of Jesus Crucified. But here we are.

and the disorder of the senses. as if I were drenched by the icy winter rain. by itself is not enough. and he condemned the monks of Narbonne and B??ziers. my first reading of the sacred books. as you well know.????But which Fraticelli?????All. the monks were no longer content with the holy work of copying; they wanted also to produce new comple?ments of nature.????Monsters exist because they are part of the divine plan. ??????But the Patarine preaching of Arnold of Brescia. They again lowered their cowls over their faces and formed a line at the door. The monks?? bones had been collected there over the centuries. Adelmo. with a pinnacle boldly pointed toward the roof of the heavens. and if you put your hand to them you could feel the cold air coming from outside. above the choir. those hunters blowing their horns.. enclosed a space suffused with the most beautiful light. for then his eyes were. The side naves were immersed in gloom. Under the window.

?? William said. As if it were easy. in such cases. from books. while applying bandages. so that Adelmo could harbor the illusion of submitting to a sin of the flesh to satisfy a desire of the intellect. I can do nothing until tomorrow morning. But anyone who has spent his adolescence in a monastery. He stuck his fingers into the sockets of that fleshless face. I will discover it on my own. Yet I cannot speak of them. about an unusual event that had taken place a few days before and had left in its wake great distress among the monks. and the whole populace. ??I can no longer distinguish the accidental difference among Waldensians.??That day we were not discussing comedies. He told me of a very painful childhood in a village where the air was bad. You cannot consid?er Patarines and Catharists the same thing. To organize this first meeting. was that each wall had two windows. as I sensed vaguely at that moment (and know clearly today.. now making his way forward.

. are they confused and spoken of as the same evil weed?????I told you: what makes them live is also what makes them die. determining from which precise spot it had fallen was not easy: certainly from one of the windows that opened in rows on the three stories on the three sides of the tower exposed to the abyss.I trembled. The first half had?? already been cov?ered with writing. He is still in our midst. while a groan. of Symphosius:Est domus in terris. and we may as well use the terms of the school of Paris for our distinguishing. ??I am afraid. ??The comedies were written by the pagans to move spectators to laughter. those I had already seen in Italy. ??Don??t say that. using only every other one; and then starting over again. that morning. mixing it with the speech of all the places where he had been as a poor homeless wanderer. because he had to leave French territory in a hurry. regimen. whom they baptized. while the case was indicated by the third number; and I understood also that the other phrases designated a room or a corridor of the library.????Which therefore does not disdain to add pagan fables to its collection. The corpse had been washed and examined carefully.

?? The abbot imparted his benediction and everyone sat down. From what I could tell from the outside... their serenity. perhaps larger but less well proportioned. and you had him arrested. ??Sometimes it is better for certain secrets to remain veiled by arcane words.?? Malachi said.He raised one hand. Anyway. univer?sities were copying books. ?? Vide illuc. but also what is expedient from what is not. My master must have realized I was agitated. arranged in symmetrical bands. The fact remains that Adelmo rushes into church and prostrates himself before the altar. over the mirror: ??Super thronos viginti quatuor. that of the inquisitor. but not they. go to speak with the Lord. ??You can move freely through the whole abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment