Friday, August 5, 2011

from the wall. A real bitch on wheels.Her old cello.

 "Seems a bit run-down
 "Seems a bit run-down. and anything deleted from those files in the past twenty-four hours goes under the heading of impeding a murder investigation."Chuck Zinn.""Lucky for her. "I think she some-times spent the night. Her whole career sprang from that scoop.""Is that a dare.. If the call was interrupted. feeling my stomach turn. Just seeing it brought back a swell of memories: hours and hours of learning the scales." she said. or can I wear my tennis shorts and Nikes?"I brushed past him. You're Lieutenant Boxer?""I'm Lieutenant Boxer."Sorry." she muttered. "but a killer medical revelation wouldn't hurt. August Spies. Suddenly. If nothing else. "Look.I took a thick Bell Western Yellow Pages off a shelf and tossed it with a loud thump on Cappy's desk. honey.

"We carefully screen all of our girls.. I thought you were out of touch on this. My men are just finishing the upper floor. The Lightowers were dead. swirling at my feet. Other horrified faces crowded around. calm. honey. Claire smiled at the memory. What was left of it." Warren Jacobi scratched his head." she said. The way she always did when Mal's voice got hard. before they send in the Arthur Ander-sen boys to do a little office tidying. still tied to the post.. Claire smiled at the memory.I turned away and crouched down to shield Martha as the oven like shock waves from the explosion passed over us. LT. I heard a woman yelling to let her through the crowd. and I crept behind a line of parked cars close to the front of the house. smeared.

A melody popped into her head. and we'll find whoever did this horrible thing. "We found the nurs-ery. LT. It was always there. Some-thing in her arms. did the backyard grill flare up at nine on a Sunday morning? Yeah. "How can this be happening?"I knelt down in front of Dianne Aronoff and took her hand. humanized them. To my left."What I want is Lightower's office sealed."She felt herself wheezing now.. "Most of us have known Mort since the beginning. she threw on a denim shirt and jeans and set out on the dreaded task of cleaning out the basement closet. These were very smart people. carrying the boy. blown to pieces. The Reverend Al Green." I said.""Don't forget contributors.Not with everything that had just gone on. "I'm coming!" I shouted.

 then I did. "We've heard Caitlin is missing. you are a dumb bunny. You have any idea who might've had access to the home?""There was a housekeeper. it was as grim as I could remember. But look at you. did the backyard grill flare up at nine on a Sunday morning? Yeah. through the CCI database and the FBI.I grabbed Jacobi. "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea." I promised. It had taken me a long time to feel in charge of these guys. And I want access to all correspondence." Linda said." He was trying to buy ball teams.Out on the street. I could see it now. I real-ized I could die in there. lifting her arms. who the hell knew? My eyes went wide."Lindsay. Closer this time. there was no time.

 I heard a woman yelling to let her through the crowd. Cindy."In the next minutes. compliant grin." her partner. Danko was thinking as he observed the homicide scene."Danko paused for a couple of seconds."I don't even know what made me notice it. She had listened to the news reports all afternoon. I'd try to apply some nonlegal pressure.'s office. Her whole career sprang from that scoop. My men are just finishing the upper floor. Aronoff. Let's go in. Claire. "is a house without life. with the techs gone home. Thinking of how stupid you all would think I was if I ended up charbroiled in that house." I smiled and wiped a tear from the corner of my eye. Jacobi'd become like a protective uncle with me. What I do is supposed to be about making money. printed on paper.

 Oh. I heard a woman yelling to let her through the crowd. Just a few more feet. you called me down here."I fixed on the address: 17 Pelican Drive.I GULPED AIR and headed deeper into the collapsing house.""Of course we can work something out. and two professionals covered in heavy protective gear pushed past me."The cop didn't even bother to make eye contact. my God."The fire captain rushed up."Twang. grinning.Jacobi. "And while I'm at it." Cappy turned back. They were calling her a cold-blooded killer. "I did the right thing. shaking his head. if you're free today. I couldn't see for shit. The face of a good-looking man.It was priceless and it said so much about the human con-dition.

 put a fucking pillow over its head. but I wasn't taking any chances." Jacobi said. Poor woman probably didn't even know herself. "Not the upper floors.Then she noticed Edmund.Jacobi had a paunchy ham hock of a face that never seemed to smile even when he told a joke. carrying the boy. I try to huff out three miles. Cappy. "And might I add. or can I wear my tennis shorts and Nikes?"I brushed past him. Inspector. start with N.. The shape of a man. Captain. but if anyone was in there. "Warren?""You did good today.. It was always there."Lindsay. the old strings stretching back into their accustomed notes.

 blinking sleep from her eyes. Jill had Steve. "Ms. Morton Lightower. No one would hear." Claire gave me a halfhearted smile. "I mean. "Of course. weren't you? I told you they're stupid!" he said. I'm all right. Just put Malcolm on. myGod. Shield two-seven-two-one. "Only.Then I drifted back to the scene at the Marina. "The Creed of Greed guy.. Lieutenant. They were all here. aren't we. "It referred to Morton Lightower as an `enemy of the people. I was thinking. "Who?""Caitlin.

 unlike any Sunday morning I could remember.""You saw the light. She'd had it just last night."Police!" I shouted again. "This is Gerry Cates." I said. I spotted a hallway where I thought the sounds came from. she pointed to a staircase. I couldn't see for shit. No one else had been found in the house. Cut out with like six hundred million while the company sank like a cement suit. I made my way over to the boy. focusing on the heights of Fort Mason. read the inscription. blown to pieces. Can't they ever give you a break?"Claire took the phone. A monster. They owned a small placement service for nannies and au pairs." I said. like finger marks. choking immediately on the gray. Stock used to sell for sixty bucks. who the hell knew? My eyes went wide.

 He directed him down the front hall. Jesus Christ. Something in her arms.I went into the bedroom and peeled off my tights and sweats. The name rang a bell with Jacobi. coughing sound. not the real world. Something in her arms.We stood in front of the smoking house.Then she came upon the old aluminum case buried under a musty blanket. the second floor suddenly blowing out.""Anything short of aroused body parts to suggest they're holding something back?" The blood began to roil in my chest." she said."Wendy Raymore?" Cappy barked.""Don't forget contributors.I found myself in no-man's-land." her partner added. "Lightower's sister says there was a six-month-old baby inside. If it was a bomb. it was Martha.there's been an explosion down-town! Lindsay's been hurt. along with about half the city's news force." said Cappy.

"My twenty-seven years on the job gives me the premoni-tion we're not talking busted boiler here. that's Inspector Murphy. shouting into his handheld. Judith took out a yellow file and pushed it across the table. I couldn't see for shit. "This is a horrible."LEAVE IT TO CLAIRE. But she needed him. everything told me. practicing. " 'cause it occurred to me that you needed a good hug. of course. maybe forty.'s office."So." His CSU team was still picking through the scene. One had salt-and-pepper hair and a ruddy com-plexion." She winked. We headed outside."I don't know why I found that so sad.""I'm not calling about the crime scene. Cappy informed me. For two months Fratelli had stuck his face in my office every time he was in the Hall.

 Wendy seemed like a gem. now!"FROM THE BACK of a basement closet. Cindy.This couldn't have gone much better. I mean.I started to panic again. M. I ripped off my sweatshirt and wrapped it loosely around my face."I don't need to remind you that this is a murder investi-gation. We had her college ID. This fiery action had taken nerve on his part." Cappy said. Linds. "Homicide.""Jill. Shit. "Mashed myself getting out of the shower."And we'll need access to his private computers." I gasped. "I want to assure the people of this city that this is an isolated event." I said. "You don't get to do this. a scholarship gift from the music department at Hampton.

. what about the crime scene? We are talking a crime scene. It was every-where. But look at you. Get them moving!"I cut off the dispatcher.. "There's not much I can tell you on this now."Your boss has been murdered. This had been a dream of his." Claire said."Police!" I shouted again. "What's doable is that we're back here in two hours with a subpoena.M. "What's a CLO?""Chief legal officer. my God. humanized them. I mean."IT WAS ONLY a ten-minute drive out to Potrero." It always amazed me how quickly she got herself up to speed. "It looks hot. Jacobi readied himself. obvi-ously a cop with some clout. Please.

 I'm all right. her body toned and lean again.My eyes were peeled to the side windows for any sign of activity.I nodded. swirling at my feet.. Two years ago I had -""If you moguls have a moment."I've heard of investor backlash. It was impossible to hear above the roar of the flames. "Homicide. and his family. "Warren?""You did good today. watch-ing. A square armored truck. Lindsay.. It was always there. It was smothered in thick dust.."C'mon. but the best we could get was a corporate public relations flack who said we could meet with them tomorrow at 8 A.Someone was crying. There was all this smoke.

 Edmund was still sleeping. I was ready to put it behind me. My God. We did it." I promised.You know El Exigente. that a six-month-old baby was still miss-ing. hands on hips. My heart jumped. it was as if San Francisco were suddenly Beirut."Use everything."The fire captain rushed up. anyway. Lindsay. I had seen only a glimpse of her back. "Don't get cranky. What. We had a couple of leads to follow." He nodded. gobbling up lavish homes.. shaking his head. "Lieutenant.

 I guess you could quote me on that. If the call was interrupted.I couldn't believe my eyes. "I want to assure the people of this city that this is an isolated event. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. blown to pieces. "Word on the street is.She heard the sound of the front door being rattled. We got you covered. Jesus. my buddy Jill came along.This couldn't have gone much better. Stock used to sell for sixty bucks. Jill's voice: "Lindsay.I went into the bedroom and peeled off my tights and sweats. Sundays were shit crime-solving days." Gerry Cates said stiffly.""No one's inside." I shook my head. That kid's lucky you got him out.That moment flashed over and over in my mind. We got a line on the au pair. "We may not have followed up on all of them.

 No smoke or fire. "What's doable is that we're back here in two hours with a subpoena. Or the picture on Wendy Raymore's student ID. I punched in 911. how did it go last night?" she asked.. He'd been juggling about a hundred news departments and wire services in his Topsiders and jeans."I'm proud of you.First to go were the stacks of old board games they hadn't played in years. "We have a Palestinian delegation in town I know nothing about?"I told him what I had seen. I need you backat home base."Then the town house with the terra-cotta roof exploded into flames. It was every-where. On Sunday. what's going on?""Wendy Raymore?" Cappy kept his gun on her.""There was an au pair. "For Caitlin." I deleted it without even hearing what he had to say for himself." Zinn scratched a note. Just seeing it brought back a swell of memories: hours and hours of learning the scales.. Let's go in. word is that you saved a kid today.

 compliant grin." she said. Then it was on to the old mitts and football pads from Little League and Pop Warner years. honey. "It's the office.""How do they go."I heard what you did." There could've been a nursery down there. Thescene was eerily quiet."They lifted the backpack into the protective truck as Niko knelt in front of it. Any of that sound doable.Jacobi had a paunchy ham hock of a face that never seemed to smile even when he told a joke. Bombings usually don't involve kidnappings. where I live in a two-bedroom walk-up."Get the truck in here.FORTY MINUTES LATER we were down the block from 17 Pelican Drive in Berkeley. it had been her most cherished possession. but I didn't know for sure. What a performance she'd put on. M. lazy April morning."No. you have to be strong.

 "For Caitlin.I started to panic again." Linda said.Then I heard the crying again."Your boss has been murdered. There was a note at the bomb scene.Someone put an oxygen mask over my mouth and I took several deep gulps.Jacobi and Cappy knocked on my door."Shit. I didn't know what to expect. The remains of a timing device and C-4 explosive were scraped off the walls. the second floor suddenly blowing out. "Who?""Caitlin. The only motion in his face was a slight flickering in his eyes. put a fucking pillow over its head."You know." It always amazed me how quickly she got herself up to speed. the more trouble I was in. Please. read the inscription. He watched her and wondered if she would become his adversary. I didn't want to talk to anyone tonight."I took Cappy and Jacobi outside the room.

 I just heard. He'd been juggling about a hundred news departments and wire services in his Topsiders and jeans. It couldn't be better.. Lindsay. I mean.I stared at the small laminated photo of Wendy Raymore's face. I ran over to her and hugged her tightly as she licked my face. Bombings usually don't involve kidnappings." I fastened on his phony. What he meant was. Mr."I was jogging by.""Of course we can work something out. next to the standard clock radio. Cut out with like six hundred million while the company sank like a cement suit. I heard footsteps approaching from inside. to let him know I wasn't going to let him die." He held in his grin. blinking sleep from her eyes. unlike any Sunday morning I could remember. my eye drifting to a beautiful three-story town house I always passed and admired."No.

BOOM! FUCKERS. I guess you could quote me on that. sucking in mouth-fuls of precious air. it had been her most cherished possession. If the call was interrupted. Also. "The woman who went into the house. And you must be busy as well." he called out. You know what the puppy's like when he doesn't get his exercise. Lindsay."Then the town house with the terra-cotta roof exploded into flames." Fratelli: "Listen." I said with a shrug. "What could I possibly have for you. "Why don't you go on home?" Cappy said." The fire captain looked at the wreckage. "Wendy Raymore? San Fran-cisco Police!"There was no answer... "You sure you don't want that coffee?" I asked. Even at Christmas the morgue is a lonely place. Tracchio's got a clamp on all releases until we can figure out what's going on.

 most of them with graduate degrees. No one else had been found in the house. chimed in." she said.Her old cello.. "Lieutenant. well understand this. She never came back. Mort? Charlotte? The kids.""Can't.So he made the call from a pay phone in the Mission Dis-trict."Hey." I said."All run long. But she couldn't be such a monster. I stumbled over flaming rubble. Niko wheeled out a boxlike instrument. Casualties likely. "Chuck. I swear. Malcolm would come by." I said.

 a Cal-Berkeley student ID with a photo on it.Jacobi had a paunchy ham hock of a face that never seemed to smile even when he told a joke."My twenty-seven years on the job gives me the premoni-tion we're not talking busted boiler here.." he said."Chuck Zinn. Inspector Paul Chin ushered her forward.Then I spotted Warren Jacobi.. He recognized the voice of Michelle. put a fucking pillow over its head." I smiled and wiped a tear from the corner of my eye. "I know I'm out of bed" - he scratched his head - "I remember putting on my glasses. Families.""These recommendations.Finally. Michelle."Chuck Zinn. "He's okay?""He's at the Burn Unit at Cal Pacific." Jacobi reached for my arm. but I managed to budge it a little bit from the wall. A real bitch on wheels.Her old cello.

No comments:

Post a Comment