Friday, August 5, 2011

answer. "And while I'm at it." Zinn nodded."My God."I think that's doable.

 It led you out?" Claire smiled
 It led you out?" Claire smiled.The tech with the X-ray scanner took a read on the knap-sack from three or four feet away."Oh.""So how about you?" I knelt down to Martha. Move everybody back."She felt herself wheezing now. the old girl's still got it. and anything deleted from those files in the past twenty-four hours goes under the heading of impeding a murder investigation. They move data over the Internet.I pressed her hand. It did belong to the guy in the picture. Inspector.The child was coughing and crying. "This is Gerry Cates." Cappy said."Doable."Oh. backed up ominously toward the spot. I'd try to apply some nonlegal pressure. and I thought. it had been her most cherished possession."This isn't the au pair. but finally he'd done something.

 In my eyes.I felt so alone. I stepped into the shower and took a swig of a beer I'd brought with me. well understand this." Fratelli: "Listen.I turned and headed for the light and cool that I knew were behind me."LET THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE BE HEARD.I started toward the knapsack. You are a hero. though." I said. I was sure there'd be no hesitation to opening up with guns. "What could I possibly have for you. Tracchio's got a clamp on all releases until we can figure out what's going on. and two professionals covered in heavy protective gear pushed past me. but something about the bruise didn't sit well with me. to say the one thing in the midst of this madness that would make me cry.So he made the call from a pay phone in the Mission Dis-trict. No smoke or fire. posthaste. to warm her-self up for a bike sprint up Mount Tamalpais or whatever Jill would do for real exercise later in the day. I saw the explo-sion. like finger marks.

 we can keep her. "And while I'm at it. Lieutenant.Cappy kicked open the door. And my mouth tasted the bitter smoke of the blast. voices. All of a sudden a beep sounded on my cell phone. do you know that?""There was a moment when I wasn't sure I was going to make it out. "Unfortunately. I shouted.Then I heard a muffled noise. I made my way over to the boy. They were calling her a cold-blooded killer. it had been ten years since she'd held it in her hands. Lieutenant.Jacobi. There's been an explosion at the corner of Alhambra and Pierce.A tense silence settled over the room. focusing on the heights of Fort Mason. Before she realized she would never be a Yo-Yo Ma and headed to med school. but I managed to budge it a little bit from the wall." Niko turned with a frown. Any of that sound doable.

 He had always preached the gospel:there's always another soldier." I said.""Told ya.So he made the call from a pay phone in the Mission Dis-trict. Lindsay.Not with everything that had just gone on.."Where's the baby?" Cappy shouted. I'm sure you'll do wonders with it. And I want access to all correspondence."I was hoping to catch up with you sometime today."The door to the conference room opened and two men stepped in. Hell.""There was an au pair." I lobbed a grenade at the CLO. Linds. A redheaded kid in a FUBU sweatshirt practicing tricks on his Razor.""You saw the light. I just did what I thought was right. and anything deleted from those files in the past twenty-four hours goes under the heading of impeding a murder investigation."Jesus. if you're free today."It was almost six o'clock on Sunday.

 "Not the upper floors."LEAVE IT TO CLAIRE. The grime of the blast was all over me. it's not a challenge.. "but I've got fourteen more years on the force. I think I'd better check our legal footing before I can agree to that. "You could call Baghdad a vacation spot.I crossed Alhambra.. If Caitlin wasn't there..""Noted. I saw it blow. and it kept ending at the same point. blanketing my face. calm.""Not for Eric. Cindy had sneaked her way into a Grand Hyatt penthouse suite."She felt herself wheezing now." someone called from across the room.FORTY MINUTES LATER we were down the block from 17 Pelican Drive in Berkeley. standing at the bottom of the stairs.

" I shook my head.Someone put an oxygen mask over my mouth and I took several deep gulps.""Then if I were you.000 security gate on his place in Aspen. maybe we could work something out. to warm her-self up for a bike sprint up Mount Tamalpais or whatever Jill would do for real exercise later in the day. choking immediately on the gray. She's done nothing wrong.Wendy. "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea. " 'cause it occurred to me that you needed a good hug. Lieutenant." she said. to say the one thing in the midst of this madness that would make me cry. Aronoff. "I want to assure the people of this city that this is an isolated event." His CSU team was still picking through the scene. Hand-carved wooden shutters and a terra-cotta tile roof like on the Grand Canal. "I know I'm out of bed" - he scratched his head - "I remember putting on my glasses."Jacobi sniffed." Niko turned with a frown. Crib and a bassinet buried under a lot of rubble. my God.

 That bomb was planted from inside. a run." I tugged on her leash. "You should get a load of how it looks.Her old cello. Thescene was eerily quiet. avoiding new hot spots flaming up. "Only. "Man and a woman. I saw it blow.This is all wrong! Fucking all wrong. Poor woman probably didn't even know herself. "Think I own a few shares in that piece of shit they call my retirement fund."Please. It was still beautiful. Stock used to sell for sixty bucks."I think she said she lived off-campus. Niko wheeled out a boxlike instrument."She had woken up early that morning.I felt so alone. "I want to assure the people of this city that this is an isolated event." I shook my head." Gerry Cates shook his head and glanced at the lawyer.

." he said.Then she noticed Edmund. who was already strapped onto a gurney."Suddenly I remembered seeing it on the news. "This is Gerry Cates. I stared at that knapsack. "But this was no gas explosion. Look. or can I wear my tennis shorts and Nikes?"I brushed past him.I pushed through a smoking doorway. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. leading the unsteady woman over to an open black-and-white. and sitting down. Stock used to sell for sixty bucks. I saw myself on the street. Stock used to sell for sixty bucks.""Not exactly a good time."The cop didn't even bother to make eye contact. A fireman."The Lightowers adored her. I sneak out for a couple of hours and you decide now's the time to be a hero? You all right?""Other than my lungs feeling like they've been lit with lighter fluid. the boy clinging to me with his petrified grip.

 "Why don't you go on home?" Cappy said. "The Creed of Greed guy. shuffling side-ways beside me.. and held my breath. a missing baby. and it hurt just to peek out from the protective cloth..A long minute of tuning. mid-stride."There's no charge. No "Ladies and gentlemen.Someone was crying.. "but this is a little much. I did check with the school." I said. Clearly dead. Buried under the rubble. you have to be strong. We got a few leads. Crib and a bassinet buried under a lot of rubble. there was no time.

"Something you want to add to that. Homicide. I heard footsteps approaching from inside. What.I turned and headed for the light and cool that I knew were behind me." I said. Before she realized she would never be a Yo-Yo Ma and headed to med school. "Is anyone there?"The smoke felt like sharp razors slicing into my lungs. could she? Not if she had saved the baby. but the best we could get was a corporate public relations flack who said we could meet with them tomorrow at 8 A." I said. like a huge refrigerator. "Don't ask. Both of them had double my time on the force.Back in the office. Suddenly. but no idea how to find her. She took the scissors and cut again. I think I'd better check our legal footing before I can agree to that. Everyone was being so good. "We mailed her confirmation to a post office box."She had woken up early that morning.I crossed Alhambra.

 the sound of gulls.""Is that a challenge?" Cindy snickered. There was an ID tag on the strap. Michelle." Dianne Aronoff shook her head."Listen to me. Lieutenant?" Captain Noroski said. shuffling side-ways beside me.M.The adrenaline was burning in my veins." he continued.""Thank God!" she exclaimed. Lieutenant. he starts to see it as a pattern.I felt so alone."Let me tell you what's doable. Fire ripped through the second floor. now!"FROM THE BACK of a basement closet. dabbing at her eyes. It would be nice if he were here tonight. Computer files as well. Lindsay. Inside the backpack.

 I was thinking. Lots of others." Mal stroked her hair. of course."So."I pulled away from him. Inspector. Lieutenant."I was hoping to catch up with you sometime today. They owned a small placement service for nannies and au pairs." Her husband Edmund's fortieth birthday. shuffling side-ways beside me. as we did. Get them moving!"I cut off the dispatcher. "Would you be asking me if your goddamn superior officer happened to be a man?""Damn right. blossoming smile. "We're gonna go for a hand entry. just running the bow along the strings. taking a semi relaxed breath for the first time all day. These were very smart people. She looked nothing like the description Dianne Aronoff had given us. I'm in an all-day yoga clinic."The three of us pushed our way inside.

 I stared at that knapsack." he was crying." the tech holding the electro-sensor said. and a grisly smell in the air." Jill cut me off.""I may not outrank you. I saw it blow. I was sure the bag was hot - or at least a leave-behind. Mal. "Get everyone out of here. My eyebrows were singed."There's no charge.Finally.. blown to pieces. more impas-sioned this time. held it in her hands.Then I pushed my way into the burning house. I saw the explo-sion.. please.Claire unsnapped the clips and stared at the wood grain on the cello..

 They were also friends.." His CSU team was still picking through the scene. But the realization that a bomb had gone off in our city." I'd been expecting to hear the Chief; her voice surprised me. The way she always did when Mal's voice got hard.I picked up." I said. and his family.She heard the sound of the front door being rattled. his eyes suddenly blank."Listen to me.. I need you to think.I stared at the small laminated photo of Wendy Raymore's face." He nodded. wants to see you. Oh. That bomb was planted from inside.""Most people think I am some asshole who's always trying to nail them to the wall.."Police!" I yelled.""Any evidence there's anything in Lightower's computer to back that up?""Call me suspicious.

""I'M ALL RIGHT. The intense heat bit at my eyes and face. leading the unsteady woman over to an open black-and-white." I said. No match on any name or group. my God. I couldn't see for shit. You are a hero. then at me again. Sounded a little off.""Is that a challenge?" Cindy snickered. Lindsay. When I first met her."Please. They had agreed not to meet until they were sure she hadn't been followed..""LIEUTENANT. but on that Sunday afternoon. Before she realized she would never be a Yo-Yo Ma and headed to med school. More likely.. horrified. We have three dead.

"You want me to meet you?""You wouldn't get within two blocks. Someone was either let in or had access. a run. we doin' suits and ties tomorrow. "I can taste that mochachino." I said. "Which fund you in?""I think it's called Long-Term Growth.A MAMMOTH LOGO in the shape of an interlocking X and L stood atop the brick-and-glass building on a promontory jutting into the bay. graphic autopsy photos and medical alerts pinned to the antiseptic walls." I said. I couldn't see for shit."Get the truck in here. and fast. "Why don't you go on home?" Cappy said.""Is that a dare. On the paneled walls. San Francisco's chief medical officer." Cappy Thomas. This boy was brilliant. Procedure told me to wait. all right. in a pink cashmere sweater."Shit.

. Shit." Fratelli: "Listen.We started with the usual questions: Had Lightower received any threats? Were they aware of anyone who'd want to do him harm?"No. He recognized the voice of Michelle. "It's the office. Need full medical and fire support. I'm telling you.. Two patrol cars had the street blocked off.That morning. I flicked on a CD.I crossed Alhambra.. there was a cry from the bedroom. The shape of a man."Your boss has been murdered.We all donned protective vests under our police jackets." Fratelli: "Listen. Also."When she saw our blank faces. "Look. With practiced hands.

 A redheaded kid in a FUBU sweatshirt practicing tricks on his Razor. "What's a CLO?""Chief legal officer. The house was a shabby blue Vic-torian on a street of similar row houses several blocks from the campus. It was real. She was cheerful and attractive. "A Nanny Is Love!""We called in when we heard about what happened. If Caitlin wasn't there. "We mailed her confirmation to a post office box.Cappy rapped at the door. "But I'm afraid that's all we have time for today. Michelle ran over to him and jumped into his arms.""You saw the light. He had always preached the gospel:there's always another soldier. to open myself to someone. "Mashed myself getting out of the shower. I'm okay. He recognized the voice of Michelle."Open up! San Francisco Police!" Cappy rapped heavily on the door." Just this little voice in my heart.This couldn't have gone much better. my eye drifting to a beautiful three-story town house I always passed and admired. "We may not have followed up on all of them. I was praying.

 My gaze was fixed on the red bag. Also."The three of us pushed our way inside. The Reverend Al Green. "He's okay?""He's at the Burn Unit at Cal Pacific.It was priceless and it said so much about the human con-dition.I'd heard of secondary explosions in the Middle East. And you must be busy as well. difficult passage that had always eluded her. "This is Gerry Cates. Lindsay?""If you mean. all right. She seemed to have some guts. Mal took a gun from his belt." Niko said." he was crying. "I heard it on the news. gobbling up lavish homes. but he was truly a killer.Someone put an oxygen mask over my mouth and I took several deep gulps." said Jacobi." I could barely talk. "But I'm afraid that's all we have time for today.

 She had listened to the news reports all afternoon.Jacobi.000 security gate on his place in Aspen. "Lieutenant.Cut away the past." Zinn nodded. the ceiling teetering where the second story used to be. Buried under the rubble. "I know I'm out of bed" - he scratched his head - "I remember putting on my glasses. We were told the family had an au pair - who's missing. Down the hall." Cappy said.In that instant I realized that people could still be inside. I knew they'd had to make their peace with Homi-cide being run by a woman for the first time." he said." I said with a shrug. her body toned and lean again. "Isn't that the guy who owned that X/L Systems?""No idea."I was jogging by. Thescene was eerily quiet.She tossed her sweatshirt over her shoulder.. and a grisly smell in the air.

 Tracchio was a glorified bean counter. I collapsed against a fire truck up on the sidewalk. "If anyone's holding something back." she said.I stared at the small laminated photo of Wendy Raymore's face. They owned a small placement service for nannies and au pairs.""You could call it a date. Mal. Two years ago I had -""If you moguls have a moment. praying I wasn't doing him harm. or rather. Move everybody back. but I can't. "Chief just got it confirmed from the Bomb Squad. A wall of burning Sheetrock and plaster hung above me. The second floor was gone. badging his way over to me.I GULPED AIR and headed deeper into the collapsing house. The Internet honcho. to open myself to someone."In the next minutes. I was sure there'd be no hesitation to opening up with guns.Claire had Edmund to soothe her on a night like tonight.

" The CLO straightened his pad. I shouted. "But this was no gas explosion.It was priceless and it said so much about the human con-dition..""Of course we can work something out. until he wore me down enough to ask him up for a meal on Saturday night (the short ribs braised in port wine I had to pack back into the fridge after he bailed on me at the last minute). too. He wants to bike up to see the Dean Friedlich exhibit at the Legion of Honor as soon as he can get in and change. "they have a new way of handling the potential ransom payers." I heard a voice through the blackness. Ms. It had been nine hours since the town house had blown. I could hardly bear the pain of the blistering heat on my face. now it's something like sixty cents.""Me too. These were very smart people. I saw the explo-sion." the tech holding the electro-sensor said. Niko Magitakos.""Can't. weren't you? I told you they're stupid!" he said. "Man and a woman.

 But it can't be. Anyone up there didn't have a chance. I stumbled down the hallway.""You saw the light. I just wanted to give you an update - everything is working beau-tifully.""Yeah." The CLO straightened his pad. anyway. wants to see you. "Possible explosive device. "What could I possibly have for you." I called. carrying a bundle of clothes.Then she noticed Edmund. The Internet honcho."Needless to say." said Cappy. "It didn't. praying that someone would answer. "And while I'm at it." Zinn nodded."My God."I think that's doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment