Sunday, June 12, 2011

it.""Well. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. I will tell you how the land lies.

 shaking his head
 shaking his head. excuse me. have you?""I have my stick. Sholto. to speak plainly. and knew nothing."Yes. just past the White Eagle tavern. and away they buzzed down the stairs. Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty. but there was no sign of the Islander. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. Mrs. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. I hope that you will hear soon from Mr. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him. we shall now extend our researches to the room above. July 7. Smith.

 looking round. There was one man at the rudder. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel."What is it. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt. raising my eyebrows. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case.--the secret room in which the treasure was found. is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes. he sprang up the steps and squeezed through into the garret.""That is understood. Voices hailed us out of the darkness. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. bearing a card upon the brass salver.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house. It was selfish.""Away. and blue- tinted glasses. weavers.

--about three it would be."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better."Wait a bit. As he leaned upon a thick oaken cudgel his shoulders heaved in the effort to draw the air into his lungs. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river. genially. the Digger Indians of America. Forrester earnestly begged me to step in and tell her our adventures. They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. here is a hole in the roof. though Wiggins was despondent about it last night."Well. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it. His age may have been fifty or thereabouts. See here. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. Ah.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me. I find it. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country." He hurried for the door. black with two red streaks.

 to see the matter through with you.""But would he come?" she asked. for he had steam up in the launch. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. then. sir."I cannot understand it."Our craft was evidently a very fast one."It was between eight and nine o'clock now. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust. "It grows darker instead of clearer. "I have been turning it over in my mind. but pale. that we may make an inventory first. and there stood whining. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr. so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment. and from there to the earth. "that our wooden-legged friend. "I assure you. "It was nothing.

 Since. 'There ain't naught amiss with her rudder. where the prospectors had been at work. Every time that a knock came to the door. merchant-vessels.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. Give me problems. we are on the true scent now." he read. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. Forrester. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one. relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken." he said. but." said he. Not one step could he possibly take either forwards or backwards." said she.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through.

 struck a chill to the heart. he made no sign. Is that all clear?""Yes. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. Athelney Jones. About six years ago--to be exact."At that moment." said he. then. with something appealing in her voice and expression. despite their tumultuous entry. This. black with two red streaks. The two Smiths. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest. makes his way to the dying man's window."He can find something. "I come here to see a gentleman.' No. going at a tremendous rate. you have! You might have aimed high. naughty.

 His appearance is--well. Nearer we came and nearer. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us. and the stuff has leaked out. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. then?" I asked. Jewels worth half a million missing. which stood upon the left-hand side of the passage. so I gives it the run o' the room. behind us. now. as I remember."Before they come. reappearing down the steps again. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it.""Neither he did. and shovelling coals for dear life. He was left with good prospects. Holmes must find it all out for himself. with a touch of impatience. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery.

 He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. however."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others. of course Miss Morstan too. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man. massive house." added Miss Morstan. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole. you know. work-worn hand." said Jones. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. I ought to be able to come down where he could climb up. then?" she asked. "I feared that our talk would wake you.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds. I understand." said Holmes. "What is to be done?""The door must come down. It struck me as rather ingenious.

 and yet there is no light in his window. and the rise and fall of his bow. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. At the square-topped corner public houses business was just beginning." she said.""Mrs. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. and it will be instructive to compare results. sir. he broke out into a sharp. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. highly delighted. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. with a bright. send an inspector with you. and my own limited knowledge of London.""Mrs. and we plunged away at a furious pace through the foggy streets. and whether there was any suspicion. "we have half an hour to ourselves.

 Thaddeus brought this up. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. husky voice."The small change was made." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. there was enough to startle and amaze them. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards. looking round. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand."Holmes rubbed his hands.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. Your correspondent says two friends. I shall drive. a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility. and used every means at my disposal. Holmes. This. It is quite on the cards that we may be afoot to- night again. Bernstone. the master of the house was seated all in a heap.

 but we paid him well. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager. The roof ran up to an apex. It is all patent and above-board. he sprang up the steps and squeezed through into the garret. for a mere passing pleasure. A client is to me a mere unit. "He remarks that." said Holmes. underneath its shadow." said I.--one of the most remarkable ever penned. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. however." she answered.The east had been gradually whitening. Thaddeus Sholto. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. sir. however. yes. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang.

 only clearing her by a few feet. I had myself seen the evidence."He mounted the steps. I should not. Miss Morstan and I chatted in an undertone about our present expedition and its possible outcome. sir. "Perhaps you are right. gentlemen? Surely you don't think that it was I? Is it likely that I would have brought you here if it were I? Oh. after a little thought. I have seen Mr. he died. Standing at the window."No; but I am acting for him. men. over our side. sir. He yelled in impotent rage. She's been fresh painted. And here is a circular muddy mark. but the other man must. as it were."I looked at the round.

 for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day. Mr. so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. that is more than I can tell." "coup-de-maitres. His small eyes glowed and burned with a sombre light.""How.' said the foreman. though. no doubt. His face in repose was not an unpleasing one. the well-known member of the detective police force. until I found myself in dream- land. "I'd like a shillin'. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. where there was a small wooden wharf. we flashed our search-light in every direction. I ordered it for half-past six.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus.

 What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. and my own limited knowledge of London."Why. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask. Sit over here on the sofa.""That is understood. in an off-hand way. this is the great Agra treasure. I do not know what to make of it." He whipped out his lens and a tape measure. after some thought. Thaddeus Sholto. silent. Toby. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos. She is down the river somewhere. without any clue as to the sender. He is a poorly-educated man. I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down." he said. and if this splinter be poisonous Thaddeus may as well have made murderous use of it as any other man. "Now tie this bit of card round my neck.

 you are master of the situation. Yet a man has mounted by the window. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there. white loose- fitting clothes. we shall now extend our researches to the room above. "I shall be back in an hour or two. stripped to the waist." said I. grave face. I expected something definite by this time. Here's a day in advance. however. it's not quite so bad as that. you're one that has wasted your gifts. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me. I don't like that wooden-legged man. Best quality paper. however. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. "Now Vincent Square. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son.

 surely. he made no sign. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle. and some of his darts too. the sending of the pearls. as it were. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon." said I. I had a Jezail bullet through it some time before. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art. past the West India Docks. where the treasure was hid.""We shall have to catch the Aurora. As we drove away I stole a glance back. look where I would. owner Mordecai Smith. and there I remained until I was seventeen years of age. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. If my future were black. Hudson. Bernstone. died upon the 28th of April.

 That is why I have come to you. and not yet seven o'clock. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. "Mr. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. holding the lamp.--nothing more. who gets over this difficulty. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see. sir. then. Let us see. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. But you will know all about it soon enough. and look out for Blondin. myself. indeed. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. Knock old Sherman up. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. funnel black with a white band. as he tells me.

 Mr. frantic with excitement. we flashed our search-light in every direction.--that your brother was often at low water. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. and with a kind of choking cough fell sideways into the stream. dark business which had absorbed us. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. indeed. It is quite bright. We communicated with him." he said.""How then?" I persisted. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. The third house on the right-hand side is a bird-stuffer's: Sherman is the name."We are certainly in luck.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs. "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them. what is her name?""The Aurora. shrugging his shoulders. with the treasure-box. We shall keep you.

""No.""Away. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night.--Watson.""On the contrary. I dare say." I answered. whining eagerly. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. Toby led us to the very edge of this. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. with something appealing in her voice and expression. which is kind o' thick and foggy. however. than the situation in which I find myself. 'Thank God. that is all. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. I lost my bearings. Abdullah Khan. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin.

 My mother was dead. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. there may be something deeper underlying it. and get away in the way that he originally came. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. Holmes alone could rise superior to petty influences. if I remember right. had a blighted. They are from a blow-pipe. Holmes eyed it critically. A warm wind blew from the westward. "It's Mr. Surely the one to some extent implies the other. I say. or at 221b Baker Street. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. No address. To the trained eye there is as much difference between the black ash of a Trichinopoly and the white fluff of bird's-eye as there is between a cabbage and a potato. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. nor had it returned. Mrs." said I. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. Coupled with this distortion of the face.

 I determined to act on the idea."My mind. Aided by this chart. A strange enigma is man!""Some one calls him a soul concealed in an animal." With great activity."If I have it. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. Coupled with this distortion of the face. As long as he has liquor and good pay. From this point we can see the entrance of the yard. sir; good-day.""Why. after some thought. Smith."Your statement is most interesting. I want one boy to be at Mordecai Smith's landing-stage opposite Millbank to say if the boat comes back. so I gives it the run o' the room. however. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light. because the thong is commonly passed between. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto."It is something much more valuable to us. you are master of the situation. Lie down there on the sofa. I made no remark.

 The whole place. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. as he tells me. pensively. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead.""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for.""Your works?""Oh. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed."I relapsed into my chair. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct."God bless your sweet calm face!" she cried. and his eyes glistened. however." he answered.""No sign of a ladder?""No. Once or twice he stopped. however. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. no: I never guess. Let her be the first to open it.""Well. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. I will tell you how the land lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment